We are back at it with another “Find Your Style”. If you are just joining us on this quest for self (design) discovery, first take the style quiz. Like I have said before, it isn’t perfect but it can help and its fun. Then you can hop on over to the other styles we have covered so far: scandinavian, luxe and glam and mid- century modern. This week however, we are going global.
If traveling to the far off corners of the world, collecting beautiful things and layering cozy and handcrafted textiles is your favorite hobby, then you my friend could have a global style. It’s a mix of eclectic and bohemian inspired pieces from all over the world and it’s exciting and totally wild. There are a few people that have mastered the look. Emily Katz’s place (above and below) are perfect examples of someone that really knows how to mix and match perfectly to achieve that global, perfectly collected and curated look. We shot her place for the book and we were all so impressed at how she seemed to perfectly create a home with such different pieces from different styles, places, and vibes. But, that is just exactly what global is.
So let’s talk a bit about what makes global, global and how you can achieve it.
1. It’s all about mixing exotic patterns that are inspired from countries all over the world: that means a sheepskin pelt, Southwestern blanket, Moroccan Pouf, and graphic geometric pillow can all be friends and live in the same space. Now before you run around the world grabbing a bunch of different textiles and matching them like a mad-man remember to keep them different scales so they don’t compete too much.
Which brings up the second rule.
2. Create a color palette that is consistent. Whether that be a palette that is more bold and bright, with pinks and greens or more neutral with indigos, hunters, and brown tones like Jason’s room above that we shot for the book. Whatever your color scheme is, keep it consistent but don’t be afraid to bring in some pops of color.
3. Flowers and plants are key to the bohemian global look. Extra points for putting them in wicker baskets or mixed pots. This keeps it feeling organic and collected. If your space can’t handle a large tree or palm, then don’t be scared to pepper around succulents, a small cactus, or flowers in vessels. And if you need some help in the “green-thumb” department then my friend Justina from The Jungalow has you fully covered with her Plant-o-pedia.
4. Furniture should be relaxed and fun, in bright colors, patterns and organic finishes. This is not the time to get minimal with your approach. Global and boho style is known for its ornate carvings, mixing of woods and added embellishments. Bring on the fringe, pom-poms, embroidery and layer it on because when it comes to global the more the merrier.
And although we all might be ready to jump on the next flight to shop all the souks and markets of the world, we wanted to bring it back home for those of you that want a little bit of it in your own lives without the trek. So we worked with Target to bring you some of our favorite global inspired pieces in these vignettes. Be sure to check out the video as well, which walks you through our process for how to create the look.
If you are ready to channel your inner maximalist and get global then we have got the full look for you – but picking things up from your travels is the safest way to make it authentic and real. Happy Friday folks.
1. Wood Ladder | 2. Southwest Basket | 3. Soda Fired Floor Vase | 4. Sea Urchin | 5. Wood Vase | 6. Woven Wall Hanging | 7. Floor Lamp | 8. Leather Chair | 9. Leather Pouf | 10. Sheepskin Rug | 11. Blue Pillow | 12. Cream Agda Yarn Pillow | 13. Green Throw | 14. Dark Orange Agda Yarn Pillow | 15. Sheepskin Pillow | 16. Indigo Stripped Pillow | 17. Woven Bowl | 18. Gray Top Woven Basket | 19. Gray Terracotta Vase | 20. Tall Blue Textured Cylindrical Vase | 21.White Giraffe | 22. Wood Stump Side Table | 23. Couch | 24. Burgundy Tribal Kilim Rug | 25. Coffee Table | 26. Rug | 27. Pink Watercolor Landscape | 28. Turquoise Lamp | 29. Blue Watercolor Print | 30. Plate Set | 31. Flatware | 32. Coffee Mug | 33. Entry Console | 34. Woven Natural Basket | 35. Faux Leather Pillow | 36. Patterned Blue Pillow | 37. Black & White Pom Pom Pillow | 38. Cream Macrame Pillow