I love summertime and look forward to it every year. I believe this is in part because I am a Gemini so summer is synonymous with my birthday and part has to do with fond childhood memories of going to the beach, camping trips, and sleepover parties. The nostalgia of summer forever has my heart (and yes – it beats Christmas by a thousand miles). So in the spirit of salvaging what is left of summer 2020, I’ve made a goal to make the most of what I have. Namely: my health, my home, and my backyard.
Having a backyard is something I took for granted growing up and the more I age into adulthood the more that fact becomes a tragic loss. Having an outdoor space, in sunny California no less, is a coveted privilege. In fact, a huge reason behind my boyfriend and my recent move was the opportunity to have a backyard. The option to simply be outside in my own private space has become essential to my mental health and I don’t think I would have appreciated this fact had I not been forced to spend so much time here these path few months.
So long as beaches are closed and vacation plans are foiled for the foreseeable future, envisioning my own backyard oasis has become a beloved past time of mine. It’s even halted some of my living room plans (for now) because spending any time outdoors is all I want to do nowadays. So, after searching for all the elements to create my dream “backyard beach oasis” I think I’ve come up with a pretty decent formula. But I’ll let you be the judge. Let’s get to it.
Step 1: Get a comfy chair
No vacation can begin without some comfort so let’s start with some great lounge chairs:
1. Wisby Reclining Chaise Lounge with Cushion | 2. Antonetta Chaise with Cushion | 3. Reni Brushed Taupe Lounger | 4. Grid Adjustable Chaise | 5. Sling Stackable Adjustable Chaise Lounge | 6. Terassi Chaise | 7. Astola Teak Single Chaise Lounge Frame | 8. Outdoor Beanbag Chaise Lounge | 9. Alvah Reclining Chaise with Cushion | 10. Cam Sun Lounger | 11. 2 Pack Acacia Wood Chaise Lounge | 12. Metal Lounge Chair | 13. Äpplarö Chaise | 14. Crescent Chaise | 15. 2 Pack Acacia Wood Foldable Chaise Lounge
I love #2. It is affordable and it folds up so it’s easy to stow away when the weather is less desirable. But if you like a chair that could double as a nap spot #7 looks comfy as hell. I am personally debating between either #1 or #2. Which do you like better?
I know not everyone has space for a lounge chair so for a smaller backyard or balcony, a nice outdoor chair can still bring the vacation vibes to you.
1. Paradise Outdoor Lounge Chair & Ottoman Set | 2. Jaxx Ponce Outdoor Bean Bag Patio Chair | 3. Numa Outdoor Chair | 4. Ellipse Rope Chair |5. Abstract Minimal Chair | 6. Bamboo Rattan Chair with Circle Sides | 7. Cabana Chair | 8. Vernon Outdoor Rocker | 9. Molly Outdoor Wicker Standing Patio Chair with Cushion
Remember when bean bags were the coolest thing ever? My dreams of having one may finally come true as I was showing Rocky these options and he was drawn to #2. I love the striped pattern that is very reminiscent of a 60s beach cabana and I would definitely feel as if I was on vacation sitting on it whilst sipping a margarita.
As previously discussed here, we love a hanging chair. Nothing says “vacation” like it and if you have the space it definitely adds a pinch of whimsy. Here are some that I love:
1. Capistrano Outdoor Hanging Chair & Stand | 2. Boho Hanging Chair Hammock | 3. Boho Hanging Chair with Tassel | 4. Large Hammock Chair with Crocheted Edge | 5. Outdoor Hanging Chair | 6. Cotton Padded Hammock Chair Swing | 7. Black Nylon Hammock Swing Chair | 8. San Blas Hanging Chair | 9. Luna Hanging Chair | 10. Eliott Swing Chair with Stand | 11. 100% Cotton Hammock Chair | 12. Britanna Patio Hanging Egg Chair |
I would like to a have a quick afternoon nap in #2 thank you very much and EHD has on good authority that #12 is really cute and provides the perfect relaxing touch to an outdoor space. We love an egg chair like this and it’s also great because you don’t need to find a place to hang it up.
Step 2: Give yourself some shade
Once you’ve procured the perfect chair for you, you’re going to need some shade.
1. Classic Wood 9 Ft. Round Stripe Umbrella | 2. Eastport Striped Umbrella | 3. 9 Ft. Round Lighted Patio Umbrella | 4. 6 Ft. Round Umbrella with Eucalyptus Pole | 5. 9 Ft. Round Cabana Stripe Patio Umbrella | 6. Artrip 9′ Market Umbrella | 7. Beach Umbrella | 8. 9 Ft. Replacement Umbrella Canopy with Fringe | 9. Maypex 9 Ft. Patio Umbrella
This lighted patio umbrella would be great in any backyard all year round. My boyfriend and I enjoy eating dinner outside when the weather is nice so an umbrella AND lights would be a great addition for us. But, I also love #7 and #8 for a more beachy ambiance. Which one is your favorite?
Step 3: Don’t Forget A Towel
Even though the sun isn’t my BFF (hello white Irish skin) I do like to “tan” from time to time with the help of a solid SPF 30. This has become a more recent hobby so I’ve been searching for some good beach towels to use instead of using my bath towels.
1. Marina Beach Towel in Blue | 2. Insomnia Beach Towel | 3. Seacliff Towel | 4. Mallorca Beach Towel | 5. Indigo Blue Tie Dye Delight Beach Towel | 6. Mediterranean Organic Towels | 7. Omo Bath Sheet | 8. Duo Striped Warm Beach Towel | 9. Linen Spa Towel | 10. Printed Terry-Cloth Beach Towel | 11. Vintage Linen Towels, Set of 2 | 12. Malibu Organic Beach Towels
Who doesn’t love a classic watermelon towel for summer?? It just feels right. I also think this the dye option is fun and basically screams “summer”.
Step 4: Grab a drink
Of course, a beach day is not complete without ice-cold beverages…
1. Cool Bag in White | 2. 77-Quart Beverage Cooler | 3. Ice Bucket | 4. Igloo Cooler | 5. White Picnic Cooler | 6. 80 Qt. Patio Rolling Cooler | 7. Grapefruit Cooler Tote | 8. Basket Print Insulated Cooler | 9. Royal Blue Retro Drink Cooler
Yes, you are technically at home at your very own backyard beach, so a refrigerator is likely close by. But because this is your beach now, why not have your drinks by your side for the ultimate relaxation experience? Many of these are also portable, so once the world opens up you can once again take your beverages to go.
Now that you have your beverage, the only thing missing is some water activities. Yep, we are talking about kiddie pools again 🙂
Step 5: Cool down and relax
1.Minnidip Pool: That’s Banana Leaves | 2. Luxe Inflatable Pool | 3. Modern Inflatable Swimming Pool | 4. Round Inflatable Outdoor Kids Swimming and Wading Watermelon Pool | 5. Splash of Citrus Luxe Inflatable Pool | 6. Inflatable Pool with Bench
Never have I ever contemplated purchasing an inflatable pool and yet here we are. I was pretty much convinced I need one from this post and they’ve been on my mind ever since. The problem is my boyfriend Rocky thinks it won’t get a ton of use so are there any frequent users out there that can convince him?? People must love them because I found out in my research that many are currently sold out. Or is it just kids using them?? Please advise.
Now if your space is a bit too small to fit an inflatable pool might I suggest an outdoor mister?
1. Hydrobreeze HB11345 72 ft. Slip Lok Fittings Misting System | 2. Ultrasonic Dry Misting Fan with Bluetooth Technology | 3. WindChaser Outdoor Misting Fan | 4. Hurricane 29 in. Reservoir Misting Fan in Gray | 5. Elite Handheld Misting Fan | 6. 7″ Personal Fan
Again, if you have a small patio or balcony a mister can be a great alternative. #1 would be a good permanent investment if you are really into the idea and #5 and #6 are affordable handheld options. These are also great investments if you are suffering through LA summers with no AC because no one should have to endure that torture.
Annnnd we made it. Thanks for hanging out with me and indulging my dream of creating my own backyard beach and if I am missing anything please let me know in the comments. Happy Friday sweet friends. xx
Opener Image Credit: Photo by Sara Ligorria-Tramp | From: How To Style Out Your Outdoor Space So You’ll Actually Use It (No Matter How Big Or Small It Is)