It’s that time of year again folks…time to think about our outdoor spaces and count the days till summer. Or maybe that’s just me, always dreaming of summer. In any case, in both big and small ways, the great outdoors is more crucial than ever so it is high time we give our outdoor spaces some love. I know I said I was going to completely revamp my backyard last year but life happened and let’s just say I can really only focus on one project at a time. But this year my backyard is going to get the makeover she deserves, and I know a lot of y’all have been home thinking about doing the same, so if you are envisioning transforming your outdoor space, here’s your sign to start. And if it seems too early to be talking about outdoor furniture (it’s even raining here in LA after all) need I remind you how quickly things sold out last year?? We don’t want anyone to miss out on the new collections this year so today I am sharing our favorite outdoor furniture on the market right now so you snag something beautiful for your space while ya can. Let’s get to it.
Here’s how to be as chill and relaxed as Velinda’s sweet lil baby pictured above: get yourself a comfy lounge chair, make yourself a refreshing drink on the rocks, bask in the sun, and have no worries besides where and when to nap next. Step one is finding the perfect lounge chair for your space, so let’s start with these beauties:
1. Corvo Outdoor Lounge Chair | 2. Woven Tule Lounge Chair | 3. Ikast Lounge Chair | 4. Capistrano Dining Chair – Light Dune | 5. Onya Lounge Chair | 6. Pacifica Swivel Chair – Light Dune | 7. Beltaine Rocking Chair | 8. Darley Outdoor Lounge Chair | 9. Aeri Dining Chair | 10. Teak Outdoor Armless Chair | 11. Coastal Outdoor Lounge Chair | 12. Hamptons Lounge Chair
First off, sign me up for #7 because I am apparently still an infant at heart and love a rocking chair. Can you imagine rocking in that beauty while reading a book in the sunshine and sipping on a marg? That’s heaven. Then there’s #2 that is SO cool and sculptural which I love and #11 looks comfy as hell. You really can’t go wrong with any of these picks.
Chaise Lounge Chairs
Now if you are really ready to set up a relaxation station (who isn’t at this point?), you can level up to the chaise lounge chair. These chairs are nap-worthy and will make your backyard feel like a vacation in no time.
1. Lodi Sun Lounger| 2. Lanai FSC® Teak Chaise Lounge, Natural with Faye Sand Cushion | 3. Mirando Reclining Chaise Lounge with Cushion | 4. Andras Double Chaise Lounge with Cushion | 5. Montego Chaise | 6. Dereham Outdoor Reclining Chaise Lounge (Set of 2) | 7. Kinney Teak Chaise with Cushion | 8. Spencer Outdoor Lounger | 9. Galpin Lounger | 10. Solano Sunlounger | 11. Pacifica Chaise – Light Dune | 12. Safavieh Outdoor Navy/White Striped Adjustable Chaise
#7 and #5 are both gorgeous but I personally prefer a chaise that reclines allll the way back. Basically, I want a chair to double as a bed because naps outside are amazing. Do you agree?
Dining Chairs & Benches
Back when I first started at EHD, I developed a real passion and appreciation for chairs. There are so many different shapes, styles, sizes, colors, PATTERNS to explore and they can really bring home a style. Not to mention I love a good ole fashion mix and match to even further liven up a space. Now, outdoor chairs may be more about function than form, but that won’t stop me from sharing some of the most beautiful outdoor chairs on the market right now.
1. Teak Windsong Outdoor Dining Armchairs (Set Of 2) | 2. Stu Bench| 3. Coastal Outdoor Dining Chairs (Set of 2) | 4. Loring Chair | 5. Manila Chair | 6. 2pk Wicker & Metal Patio Dining Chairs Stripe | 7. 2pk Wicker & Faux Wood Patio Accent Chairs | 8. 2pk Wood & Strapping Patio Club Chairs | 9. Linnea Outdoor Dining Chair | 10. Henning Patio Bench | 11. Offline Outdoor Dining Chair| 12. Outdoor Slope Lounge Chair | 13. Palma Outdoor Rattan Dining Chairs (Set of 2) | 14. Acacia Wood Artemis Outdoor Bench | 15. Antiqued Gold Metal Chair
How cool is #5?? I want to sit on it whilst enjoying an outdoor dinner party with friends and feel like a queen. Also, you have the space for a long outdoor dining table, benches are GREAT and bring in some more visual interest. But if you are a comfort lover, #7 is definitely your guy.
Anyone else missing intimate dinner parties with friends?? It’s been far too long so maybe now is your chance to set up an outdoor dining area so you can enjoy company safely once the warmer months come along. I know this is what I am looking forward to greatly so these are the dining tables are on my radar right now:
1. Wainscott Table. | 2. Conners Teak Dining Table | 3. Shaftesbury Wooden Dining Table | 4. Round Teak Windsong Outdoor Dining Table | 5. Aluminum Dining Table | 6. Gya Table | 7. Skoog Wooden Dining Table | 8. Laguna Outdoor Dining Table | 9. Circula Dining Table | 10. Evelyn Outdoor Coffee Table – Round | 11. Stein Table | 12. Bluffdale 6 Person Wood Round Patio Dining Table | 13. Sofia Dining Table | 14. Wicker Patio Coffee Table | 15. Hollis Table
I need a new outdoor dining table that will be durable and last a LONG TIME so I love the idea of #5, #9, or #14 but I also love a long rectangular outdoor dining table like #15. What do you think?
If space permits you can absolutely create an outdoor lounging/entertaining space like Emily did in the Portland project pictured above. Bonus points if your home has a patio covering so you can enjoy the space year-round (ok, maybe that’s just us on the west coast..sorry!). But either way, a sitting area will guarantee your outdoor space gets a lot of use.
1. Round Outdoor Coffee Table | 2. Francis Outdoor Coffee Table – Rectangle | 3. Blithedale Coffee Table | 4. Lubek Coffee Table | 5. Marbled Drum Outdoor Coffee Table | 6. Porto Outdoor Round Coffee Table | 7. Round Dark Gray Barrel Wood Byron Outdoor Coffee Table | 8. Teak Outdoor Coffee Table – Square Leg | 9.
Tambor Concrete Outdoor Drum Coffee Table | 10. Large Round Gray Dotted Dorothy Outdoor Coffee Table | 11. Light Brown Eucalyptus Segovia Outdoor Coffee Table | 12. Teak Outdoor Coffee Table – Square Leg
Concrete drum tables like #1, #5, #6, and #7 are great for outdoor spaces so you don’t have to worry as much about inclement weather but teak tables such as #8 and #11 are also great too.
If you want a really functional outside retreat, you must sprinkle in a few side tables. Ideally, for every sitting area, there should be places to set a drink and these side tables will certainly do the job:
1. Cami Ceramic Side Table | 2. Tucker Wicker Patio Accent Table | 3. Djembe Side Table | 4. Kora Small Rattan Table | 5. Hayes Side Table | 6. Bluffdale Wood Patio Accent Table | 7. Corbyn Accent Table | 8. Clarabelle Stool | 9. Laguna Outdoor Side Table | 10. Cutter Stool | 11. Concrete Outdoor Pedestal Round Side Table | 12. Bronte End Table
You may recognize #3 from Emily’s LA home living room and yes, it is technically an indoor side table but I think it could totally work outside (although I’d protect it from inclement weather FOR SURE cause it’s a damn beauty). In fact, if it rains a lot in your area, #1, #7, and #11 are great concrete options. I for one love the elegance and simplicity of #5.
Sofas & Sectionals
Have you ever accidentally fallen asleep outside, in the sun, on a sofa? It might be the best feeling ever. I am definitely dreaming of summer (clearly) and these outdoor sofas will make any outdoor space feel homey and inviting.
1. Alicante II 4 Piece L Shaped Outdoor Furniture Set | 2. Modern Outdoor Couch with Wood Legs | 3. Wicker Outdoor Sofa | 4. Dog Days Outdoor 2 Seat Sofa | 5. Halden Outdoor Sofa | 6. Kotelu Sectional | 7. Lubek Sectional Set | 8. Lagora Sofa | 9. Cadenza Indoor/Outdoor Sofa | 10. Wicker Outdoor Corner Sectional – 5 Seat | 11. Kotelu Sofa | 12. Cerca Striped 3-Piece Sectional with Ottoman | 13. Perch Outdoor 3 Seat Sofa | 14. Arca Driftwood Gray Sofa | 15. Cato Teak Patio Sectional with Cushions
Since I am a sucker for patterns, I am of course super drawn to #12. It would definitely make a statement and would make any space feel cool and eclectic. For a more functional sofa for entertaining (that’s gonna happen again right???) #6 is killer and so is #7.
Even if you have a small yard or even a patio, a loveseat will make you want to enjoy the space 10x more. Here are our favorites:
1. Bamboo Rattan Loveseat | 2. Morocco Graphite Oval Loveseat with White Cushion | 3. Britanna Patio Loveseat Natural | 4. Catskill Outdoor Loveseat | 5. Palma Outdoor Rattan Loveseat | 6. Benmore Wicker & Faux Wood Patio Loveseat | 7. Teak Outdoor Loveseat | 8. Ayden Patio Loveseat | 9. Standish Patio Loveseat | 10. Loveseat with Cushions | 11. Sunset Teak Outdoor Sofa | 12. Teak Outdoor Armless Loveseat
How cool is the shape of #2? I’d love to curl up with a book and my dog, although he’d probably love #10 because he prefers anything that his white fur will stick to indefinitely. Which one is your favorite?
I am definitely a patio set kind of gal because all of the furniture options out there can be overwhelming. An outdoor dining set or lounge chair/side table set will definitely get a lot of use this year and there are so many great options out there.
1. Dark Gray Barrel Wood Byron Outdoor Furniture Collection | 2. 3pc Faux Bamboo Patio Chat Set | 3. Eucalyptus Keon 3 Piece Outdoor Furniture Set | 4. Set of Two Lounge Chairs and Table | 5. Antique White Woven Rope Nevis Outdoor Furniture Collection | 6. Eucalyptus And Concrete Reza 5 Piece Outdoor Dining Set | 7. Oak Park 4pc Patio Conversation Set | 8. Solid Acacia Wood Outdoor Patio Sofa Furniture Set | 9. Martin Small Space 3pc Patio Chat Set | 10. 3 Piece Patio Furniture Set | 11. Paden 3-Piece Wicker Outdoor Patio Bistro Set with Grey Cushion | 12. Alda Lounge Set, Black/White
For a small patio or backyard, cute 3-piece sets are an easy (and most of the time, more affordable) way to furnish your outdoor space. For bigger spaces, if you are looking for conversational sets #1, #5, #7, and #12 will certainly do the trick.
Alright my friends, that is all for now but what other outdoor-related content would you like to see from us? Should we do a roundup of furniture covers too?? You tell me. xx
Opener Image Credit: Photo by Melissa Oholendt |From: A Foolproof Way To Create An Outdoor Room With Target
Thanks for the roundup. Furniture covers would be nice, but design-worthy outdoor tables with storage would be most appreciated for small space dwellers.
For furniture covers, I’ve had really good luck with the Amazon Basics brand.
I’ve been thinking about this loveseat since last summer and I hope to finally get it this year but due to the pandemic I was hesitant to buy without testing it out in the store: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/brusen-sofa-outdoor-red-70424147/ I love the color but not sure if it’ll be comfortable?
can vouch for loveseat #9! very comfy
Thanks for that, but where are those kick-ass black and white poofs in the top photo?
And they appear to be sold out.
Hey friends! The sofa image needs an edit—you’ve got a space filler “$$$ Company Name”
Outdoor cushion roundup please!
We have loveseat #3 and I highly recommend it! It’s chic, holds up well in the weather, and is very comfortable.
Can also vouch for loveseat #9 — I keep it covered when not using it and it’s held up great.
Here’s my request: all my outdoor spaces are open to the elements (no porch roof or anything). I’d love a roundup of furniture that can be truly outside and withstand some weather. For example: dining tables that can get rained on without damaging their finish, but also don’t look like sad 1990s glass-top tables. Or seating that’s comfy but doesn’t have cushions that will get soggy in the rain. I’m happy to cover up all the furniture during the winter, but in the summer I don’t want to have to rush out and cover it every time a thunderstorm pops up!
Surely this must exist somewhere? Help me, Emily Henderson and team, you’re my only hope. 🙂
We must of replied at the same time. I had a post similar topic below. EHD is in S.CA; however, Emily will be moving to wet, wet Oregon. I look forward to a roundup that shows how to “ style” a patio/porch without having to rush outside to grab cushions, bring in accessories or move furniture to dry out a rug ( according to a reply to my ?, rugs can get a green slime) when the skies open with rain. We wait to put anything out until all trees have put out yellow-green pollen. Sigh…miss the ease of outdoor living in CA plus evening cooling of fog rolling in.
I used to have a teak outdoor setting that was out in the open year-round. On dodgy weather days, I brought the cushions inside. The teak wood went silvery but was super strong…that might work?
I got EOS lounge chairs from DWR and they’ve been outside and good as new for 5 years. I have mine by the pool and put folded beach towels on them for padding.
Outdoor heating/fire tables/chimineas would be most appreciated!
Love EHD roundups! Questions to community:
Those who live in rainy areas without covered porches/patios, do you use outdoor area rugs? If so, how do they fair after a season.
Do you stick to a certain type of furniture (i.e., no cushions?)
The past few years we’ve used a piece of astroturf purchased at a big box hardware store cut to the length that fit. Super cheap and doesn’t erode with bad weather and looks boho, bright and fun. I’m in Chicago…the “rug” doesn’t come inside in winter.
I have 2 outdoor 8×10 rugs on our deck that has no roof and bakes in full southern exposure sun all summer. One rug under the dining area is navy blue and has not faded, and it dries fast. Made of polyproplyene.The other is a patterned rug and has faded some, where the furniture is not covering it. Doesn’t dry as fast and can get green slime on it when the parts that never see sun get too wet and don’t dry out. I will keep it another year then probably replace it. I bring in my seating cushions and store them in the basement whenever we are not using them. I was looking for a cute, waterproof deck box to keep them in but the reviews are not great for any that I liked the looks of.
Thanks for feedback.
I pressure wash our outdoor rug in spring when it’s warm enough to start hanging outside. Leave it out year round. It looks new again each time so far, and we’ve had it for 3 or 4 years. I’m in Oregon.
Good to know.
I have a small backyard and our patio/flat stone area needs to double as a parking pad every so often. I’m looking for a table and chairs that we could easily fold up to get out of the way, but that isn’t your standard folding table. AND that fits at least 4 people, ideally 6-8. Any ideas? Thanks!!
We bought the Target Standish lounge chairs and love seat almost three years ago and I LOVE them and highly recommend. They are so comfortable, and we use them all the time. I was lucky to find the loveseat and the chairs 50% off on clearance! I stalked those babies and then SAT ON THE BOX until my husband could come with his Honda Fit to get them.
I was coming here to say the same thing! The Standish chair is a pretty good dupe for the Pottery Barn chair (#8 above) and is incredibly comfortable. We’ve had them for several years and they’ve held up great. We put the cushions away in the winter but leave the frames outside in rainy Portland and haven’t had any issues at all.
This might be more home-keeping than design but I’d love a post on how to take care of these things. I live in the mid-Atlantic and it’s tricky to enjoy outdoors when you also have to survive the pollening and general yuck that builds up over the course of spring/summar/early fall. Specifically, I’d like to know if there are specific materials that wear better than others and how/when to clean. Also, many of the photos you posted include outdoor rugs. Same questions: What materials do you look for? How many years should an outdoor rug last? What’s the best way to clean it?
Would be great to include patio decor on this list to help make the space feel finished!
Am I the only one who really just wants an adirondack chair? Nice flat arms to put a drink on, comfortable and durable…
I’ve had two Adirondack chairs from LL Bean for 10 years now, and they have
held up beautifully. They are at my house on Elk Lake in Michigan, and they get lots of sun and rain and wind. They are outside for 4-5 months of the year…..check them out!
$600 for ONE dining chair AND birds are gonna poop on it? Pass.
Ooh ooh outdoor rugs, please? This was fabulous, thank you!
Ohhh – Need to include outdoor rug options!!!
Fire pit round up, please!
Re: content –
Plants and planters!
Planter beds, hanging planters, window boxes, traditional planters…
Resources for native plants, especially wildlife and pollinator friendly plants. And growing your own food : )
Love this annual roundup!
I work at one of theses stores and let me tell you ORDER NOW. Things are selling SO FAST. Furniture in general is all backed up this year because everyone is redoing things and outdoor which is already notorious will sell out even faster this year. We’re expecting to be out of stock in our main outdoor pieces probably within a couple weeks so I’m so glad you guys are encouraging people with this post 🙂
Hi, Do you have the link for the lounge chair in your picture at the very top with the cute little dogie?
Hello! I’m wondering if you have suggestions for attractive outdoor compost bins or rain barrels?
I’d love to see some roundups of bar/counter height sets as well!