This year is the first year EVER that I have the itch to decorate for Christmas. Historically I am kind of a grinch so it’s a little funny that I am writing the favorite holiday decor post this year. I love summer and warm weather so when it starts to get dark at 5 pm I tend to get bitter. But hey if the grinch’s heart can grow three times its size maybe mine can too?? After all, if I learned anything this year it’s that’s never too late to change (or at least change your perspective). I did recently tear up at a holiday Walmart commercial (not joking) so clearly something is shifting in me whether I like it or not. So this year, I fully want to get into the holiday spirit and I am ready to invest in some holiday accents to make my home reflect my newfound appreciation for this time of year. If you are also looking for some fresh holiday decor, the team put together all our favorite picks but as always, we encourage you to only buy what you need. Now, let’s get into the spirit, shall we?
Bring The Eye Up With Wreaths & Wall Hangings
It is no secret that EHD loves holiday greenery. It’s a really simple yet impactful way to bring the outdoors in and signal to everyone that you are ready for the holiday celebrations to begin. We love a classic foliage wreath but a new trend that I am getting into is holiday wall hangings and wall art. I can actually see myself hanging wall art in the bathroom or in my small entryway to REALLY let everyone know that I am getting into the holiday spirit. Here are some of our favorites:
1. Faux Cedar Wreath | 2. Aged Iron Star Wreath | 3. White Winter Tree Linen Scroll Wall Hanging | 4. Macrame Greeting Card Holder | 5. Pompom Wreath| 6. Botanical Ornament Advent Calendar | 7. Metal Framed Sleigh Print Wall Art | 8. Arctic Advent Calendar | 9. Spruce Wreath with Bell | 10. Korpo Wreath | 11. Metal Advent Calendar with Wreath Magnet Black/Cream | 12. Handmade Winter Wreath
I am really into incorporating a ton of greenery so I am very attracted to #1 and #9. I like the simplicity of a solid green wreath but if you are looking for something more colorful, obviously #5 is a winner. I like #10 a lot too for an unexpected pop of red. For an interesting wall hanging, I am very drawn to #6 and I love the idea of a hanging greeting cardholder like #4.
Garnish Your Shelves with Garlands
I am pretty into draping things so garlands are going to be my jam this year. Like I said, I want lots of greenery (both real and faux) so that’s where I am leaning but there are some really special and whimsical garlands that I might have to make exceptions for…
1. Wood Scandi Snowy House LED Battery Operated String Lights | 2. Faux Rosemary Garland | 3. Stocking Advent Calendar Garland | 4. Bottle Brush Tree Garland 7′ | 5. Dove Garland | 6. Faux Eucalyptus Garland| 7. 6ft Felt Snowflake Garland White/Gold | 8. Glittery Pennant Garland | 9. 6ft Pom Pom Christmas Garland with Braided Rope Ivory | 10. Fresh Western Red Cedar Garland, 15′ | 11. Mini Pebble Glass String Lights |12. Wool Felt Berry Garland
Can you guess which ones caught my eye? If you said #2 and #6 you know me so well. #1 is very special though, especially if you are into the little houses/scandi decor trend.
Sprinkle In Small Figurine Collections
Emily has been decorating with little house figurines for years. Collections are always a great way to bring a personal touch into your space and if you want a start a holiday-themed collection these houses are such a sweet option.
1. Woodcut Icy Cottage LED Light Up Decor Set Of 3 | 2. Clara Christmas Pyramid | 3. Nathalie Lete Holiday Village House | 4. House Decorative Object | 5. Frosted Blush Houses Village Kit | 6. Black Metal A-Frame House Decorative Figurine | 7. Ceramic Traditional House Decorative Figurine Red | 8. Village Tealight Candleholders | 9. White Ceramic Houses
#4 caught my eye right away and I think this set would look real good in my living room. #8 though has EHD written all over it as we are all really big fans of wooden figurines around here. For a more playful option, #3 is an obvious choice and would bring whimsy to any shelf.
1. Multicolor Bottlebrush Tree On Wood Block Decor 8 Pack | 2. Faux Pre-lit LED Alpine Tabletop Tree | 3. Dried Pampas Grass Christmas Tree | 4. Lit Wood Arrow Christmas Tree Tabletop Decor | 5. Accordion Paper Trees | 6. 3pk Modern Christmas Tree Decorative Figurine Set | 7. 2pk 6in Bottle Brush Tree Decorative Figurine Set Green | 8. 4pk Bottle Brush Christmas Tree Set Pink | 9. Tall Glitter Bottle Brush Tree Decorative Figurine | 10. Handmade Wood Cone Tree with Star | 11. LED Ceramic Trees |12. Sage and Silver Bottle Brush Christmas Trees | 13. Woodland Bottle Brush Trees by Leanne Ford | 14. The Christmas Tree figurine | 15. Wooden Trees
Tree figurines are BIG. Emily used these in the Target holiday photoshoot this year and they just really help dress shelves with holiday whimsy. I am personally into #10 from Ecovibe but again, wood figurines are so cute and Scandinavian so #14 and #15 are obvious winners.
Swap Out Pillows And Throws For Something More Festive
This is the category I am most excited about you guys. I am very much looking forward to investing in holiday pillows and throws. I remember when I had no pillows on my sofa and it was very sad? Now that I have my everyday throw pillows, I think I am ready for seasonal pillows to add into the mix. Here are some really good ones:
1. Story Wool Blend Pillow Cover | 2. Knitted Tree Christmas Throw Blanket |3. Pier Place Red And White Trees Throw Pillow | 4. Metallic Quilted Velvet Square Throw Pillow | 5. Pier Place Ivory, Red And Green Beaded Trees Lumbar Pillow | 6. Jacquard-Woven Snowscape Throw Blanket | 7. Falala’ Embroidered Lumbar Christmas Throw Pillow | 8. Sherpa Shaped Christmas Tree Ivory | 9. Fringed Three Christmas Trees with Pom-Poms Lumbar Throw Pillow Green | 10. Cable Chunky Knit Throw Blanket | 11. Oversized Woven Tree Lumbar Christmas Throw Pillow | 12. Embroidered Winter Scene Square Throw Pillow Rose | 13. Christmas Tree Loops Throw Pillow | 14. Holiday Knit 20″ Black and White Pillow | 15. Holiday Knit 70″x55″ Red Throw Blanket | 16. Skier 22″x15″ Beige Pillow | 17. Styles 70″x55″ Red Plaid Fringe Throw Blanket | 18. Winter Landscape 22″x15″ Velvet Pillow
TBH, I love every one of these picks. #12 is from the Target x Jungalow line and I think it’s so sweet and fun and would be really cute paired with #7. If you are going for a winter wonderland ski lodge vibe, I’d go for #14, #15, and #16. If I am going to really narrow it down though, I can’t stop thinking about #1 and #2. Which one is your favorite?
Hang Stockings (No Mantle Necessary)
I am finally getting stockings for Rocky, Gus, and I this year and I am very excited. I remember growing up we had the same stockings for as long as I can remember and that’s a tradition I want to carry on with my family. We don’t have a traditional mantle but that’s not stopping me! I will likely hang them on our bookcase or record console similar to what Emily did in the above photo in her LA home. I’m curious though, if you don’t have a mantle in your home, where do you like to hang stockings?
1. Metal & Wood Decorative Box Christmas Stocking Holder | 2. Shay Christmas Stocking | 3. Plush Pom Pom Christmas Stocking | 4. Embroidered Forest Stocking | 5. Snow Globe Stocking Holder | 6. Puffer Christmas Stocking with Sherpa Lining White/Red/Blue | 7. Bottlebrush Tree Multi Hook Stocking Holder | 8. Wool Felt Scalloped Stocking | 9. Folk Stocking | 10. Jacquard Knit Pom Stocking | 11. 4pk Metal Deer Christmas Stocking Holder Brushed Brass | 12. Red Holiday Snowflake Christmas Stocking | 13. Iso Haus Christmas Stocking Hook | 14. HTH Mini Gingham Quilted Stocking | 15. Patchwork Christmas Stocking
I love the scallop detail of #8 and am 90% sure it’s the one I will be buying for myself but #10 is also very sweet and cute (I love the little pom pom detail). For a stocking holder, it’s between #7 and #11 for me but #13 is a very cool modern option.
Personalize Your Tree with Fresh Ornaments
I love this post that Emily wrote last year. I, too, am very nostalgic and like having mementos to represent years or significant moments in my life. This year, I am looking for some sort of therapist ornament for Rocky to celebrate him getting his first client! So yes, I am into ornaments as gifts and there are so many good ones on the market.
1. Pride Flag Ornament | 2. Doctor Mouse Ornament | 3. Kid with White Hat & Yellow Sweater Christmas Tree Ornament | 4. Truck Christmas Tree Ornament | 5. Kid Skiing with Green Pants Christmas Tree Ornament | 6. 20pc Soft Metallics Christmas Ornament Kit | 7. Set of 3 of Woven Bell Ornaments | 8. Faux Fur Deer Christmas Tree Ornament Gray with Spots | 9. Large Paper Snowflake | 10. 2 pack Christmas Ornaments | 11. Fabric Rainbow Ornament | 12. Notorious RBG Ornament | 13. Wool Felt Hipster Mouse Ornament | 14. Flocked Ornament Boxed Set| 15. BLM Heart Ornament
#2 would be very cute for a doctor in your life (we all know they deserve the recognition!) and I think the hipster mouse ornament set (#13) is hilarious. To be honest, I think a thoughtful personal ornament is kind of the perfect gift!
Set The Mood With Holiday Scents
Finally, is it really Christmas if it doesn’t smell like it? If you have a real Christmas tree that should do some of the heavy lifting but if you are opting for a faux tree (or no tree) this year then you are going to need some candles for scent and/or mood lighting.
1. Spruce Tree Taper Candles | 2. Frasier Fir Petite Reed Diffuser | 3. 25oz Fireside Spruce 5-Wick Clay Seasonal Candle | 4. Lex Pott Twist Duo Standing Taper Candle | 5. 3pk Love/Peace/Joy Ceramic Seasonal Candle Gift Set | 6. Wooden Tree Candle | 7. Advent Calendar Candle | 8. Cypress and Fir Bowl Candle | 9. Humble Home Candle
The wood tree candles are really cool and are in my cart but I also want a true holiday scented candle like #3 or #8. #7 is an advent calendar candle which I had never heard of but I do like the idea of lighting the same candle every day to countdown until Christmas.
Alright my friends. I feel pretty prepared to decorate and if you needed some new decor I hope you do too! xx
If you are looking for more inspiration and decor for this holiday season, be sure to check out: Rebekah’s Sophisticated, Meaningful Hanukkah Decorating Ideas to Get Your Home Ready for Candle-Lighting | Target’s Holiday Assortment Is Here To Make All Our Gatherings Look And Feel Extra Special This Year | 13 New Ideas/Trends That’ll Shake Up Your Old Christmas Decor (Whenever You Are Ready To Start)
Opener Image Credit: Styling by Brady Tolbert | Photo by Sara Ligorria-Tramp | From: Brady’s Holiday Decor + Shop The Look
Great post ! Question – what is the maker of gray sofa on the cover page? It’s lovely and looks so comfy.
It was the Rose sofa from Interior Define: https://www.interiordefine.com/rose-custom-sofa
I’ve never had a fireplace in my adult life, and since I’ve lived in the Arizona desert the whole time, that made sense and I hung our stockings from our bookcase (heavy books holding them up there). But I just moved back to chilly and wintery Minnesota and we’re house shopping and I can’t wait to find our new home and HOPEFULLY it will have a fireplace! Great lists and I love your writing style, as always. 🙂
I’ve actually been dying for a post on how to decorate for the holidays without a fireplace! I know you’ve done a post on nontraditional spots to hang stockings, but in so many photos, it always seems like the mantle is the focal point. But for those of us without, I’m curious how you’d style a space.
I have a console table under the TV that I’ve decorated with garlands and hung stockings there. Even if I had a fireplace I wouldn’t put those things above it because it’s a fire risk (assuming the fireplace is functional).
I actually have a fire place but with a toddler in the house, we chose to hang our stockings on our staircase instead. It’s the first thing you see when you enter the home and ended up working nicely.
I really liked these home decor quotes. This home decor ideas are very unique. People must choose the most suitable paint colour and furniture must look good and match the paint colour. Nice work, your article will help many people to achieve their dream home.
No fireplace here, but our stairs come down into our family room and that makes the perfect place to hang all of our stockings. Dogs and cats too!!
My favorite candle for the holidays is the intensely scented Frasier Fir candle by Thymes. The jar is pretty basic, but the scent is the very essence of Christmas! https://www.thymes.com/fragrances/fresh/frasier-fir/
My absolute favorite!
Years ago I went through a French country phase and replaced my kids stockings with large toile cones for a few Christmases–my kids won’t let me live it down–lol! I’m itching to add to my decor with deer this year, but want to pull everything out before I decide what holes need feeling. 🙂
I like decorating with real greenery because I don’t have to find somewhere to store it for eleven months out of the year. Trader Joe’s generally has inexpensive wreaths and small garlands, and I’ve also bought greenery from my local nursery (they also sell Christmas trees). I can compost the greenery where I live, although you do have to be sure to to remove the wire wrapping first.
This collection of home decor quotes is very nice. The ideas are unique. Choosing the best paint color is essential, and the furniture should match the color of the paint. Excellent work, your article will be helpful to many people.