Today we are touching back on that oh so casual, “Effortless Expensive California” look that we chatted about a few weeks ago. In case you missed the post be sure to click here to read through the intro post before scrolling down. But, to give you the readers digest version. The casual, easy-breezy, relaxed, “I just threw this together” style is gaining popularity on the web and for a good reason. It is a beautiful look, feels sophisticated and collected, doesn’t feel stuffy, and looks totally attainable which is exactly the allure of it. But, just because it seems easy to achieve and pull off doesn’t mean that it is. So, due to popular demand (although you asked nicely in the comments so I am not sure if demand is the right word) we are breaking the style down even further to show you how it can be achieved in your own home while showing you some of our favorite products that fall into this style.
Today we are covering all things furniture in the “Casual California” style and we are starting off with some of our favorites sofas. When it comes to sofas in this look you will notice that they almost always are white, cream, or tonal in color. Some of them will have some wood or metal accents, and all of them will be relaxed, cozy, and upholstered in a linen, cotton, or canvas that allows for easy lounging. Steer clear of anything too ornate, scrollwork, turned accents, excessive tufting, or anything that feels too firm or like you wouldn’t want to binge watch your favorite show on it.
1. Urban Outfitters Couch | 2. Sixpenny Couch | 3. Anthropologie Couch | 4. Amber Interior Design Couch | 5. West Elm Couch | 6. Urban Outfitters Couch | 7. Ikea Couch | 8. Shop Horne Couch | 9. Article Couch | 10. Finnish Design Shop Couch | 11. Interior Define Couch | 12. Clad Home Couch
Next up is Sculptural chairs. No “California Casual” room is complete without at least one of these guys. This could be an all wood variety, something with leather straps, slung leather, or a woven rattan. Typically these sculptural chairs are not the type of larger lounge chairs that you want to hang out in, but they help to add depth and character in the room which makes it more interesting. They are beautiful, can stand on their own, can be slightly unconventional (like the hand chair below), and have a simplified utilitarian look.
Here are a few of our favorites.
1. Urban Outfitters Chair | 2. CB2 Chair | 3. Target Chair | 4. Target Chair | 5. Anthropologie Chair | 6. West Elm Chair | 7. Urban Outfitters Chair | 8. Wisteria Chair | 9. Tnk-NYC Chair | 10. CB2 Chair | 11. Urban Outfitters Chair | 12. Ikea Chair | 13. Wayfair Chair | 14. Rose and Fitgerald Chair | 15. Serena and Lily Chair | 16. The Citizenry Chair | 17. Overstock Chair | 18. Fenton and Fenton Chair | 19. Jayson Home Chair | 20. Urban Outfitters Chair | 21. Third Life Design Chair
Moving on into the dining category we have dining chairs and tables. As far as dining tables go, you can stick with the classics like a Saarinen Tulip Table, or you can go more rustic like a farmhouse or shaker style table. They will definitely all have a lighter wood finish to them and nothing that is too glossy or ornate.
1. West Elm Table | 2. CB2 Table | 3. Ikea Table | 4. Wayfair Table | 5. Shop Candelabra Table | 6. Target Table | 7. Chairish Table | 8. Restoration Hardware Table | 9. West Elm Table | 10. Amazon Table | 11. Amber Interior Design Table | 12. Ikea Table
For the dining chairs in this style you will always find some of the classics (churner, thonet, windsor, ladderback style) and you can also get away with pulling in some of the more modern and Scandinavian styled chairs. Bonus points for mixing and matching like they did above or below.
Here are a few of our favorites.
1. Rejuvenation Chair | 2. DWR Chair | 3. CB2 Chair | 4. Ikea Chair | 5. Ikea Chair | 6. Target Chair (set of 2) | 7. Anthropologie Chair | 8. CB2 Chair | 9. Anthropologie Chair | 10. CB2 Chair | 11. DWR Chair | 12. Chairish Chair | 13. DWR Chair | 14. West Elm Chair | 15. Ikea Chair | 16. Rejuvenation Chair | 17. West Elm Chair | 18. Danish Design Store Chair
Next up the ultimate hallway or end of bed accessory, the bench. Every “Casual California” home needs a few of these. Steer clear of too much upholstery, anything ornate or decorative, and anything that feels too industrial. Woven, caned, or leather benches work perfectly in this style and you can also use the more modern and simple wood versions as long as they aren’t too dark or have a glossy finish.
1. West Elm Bench | 2. CB2 Bench | 3. Terrain Bench | 4. Ikea Bench | 5. West Elm Bench | 6. Fenton and Fenton Bench | 7. Overstock Bench | 8. Rejuvenation Bench | 9. Shop Horne Bench | 10. Rejuvenation Bench | 11. Amber Interior Design Bench | 12. Etsy Bench | 13. Consort Design Bench | 14. Rejuvenation Bench | 15. All Modern Bench
Now that you have the right bench, you need the perfect bed to go behind it. Clean lines, upholstery, and leather accents are all appreciated when it comes to the beds in this category, and you will also find some updated versions of the classic windsor and four poster style.
1. Urban Outfitters Bed | 2. CB2 Bed | 3. Living Spaces Bed | 4. Rejuvenation Bed | 5. Ikea Bed | 6. Urban Outfitters Bed | 7. Amber Interior Design Bed | 8. Fenton and Fenton Bed | 9. West Elm Bed | 10. CB2 Bed | 11. Living Spaces Bed | 12. Amber Interior Design Bed | 13. CB2 Bed | 14. South First Home Bed
Next up a place to kick your feet up, or a place to put your drink. The coffee and side tables. They both go hand in hand and in this category and have the same general characteristics. You will find tables that work well with this style that have a live wood edge, mid century lines, woven materials, or rattan.
Here are a handful of our favorite side tables.
1 Wayfair Side Table | 2. Jayson Side Table | 3. West Elm Side Table | 4. Anthropologie Side Table | 5. Urban Outfitters Side Table | 6. CB2 Side Table | 7. Jayson Home Side Table | 8. Urban Outfitters Side Table | 9. West Elm Side Table | 10. Ikea Side Table | 11. Wayfair Side Table | 12. Neustadt Studio Side Table | 13. Viva Terra Side Tables | 14. Shop Horne Side Table | 15. Wayfair Side Table | 16. Wayfair Side Table | 17. Shop Horne Side Table | 18. Rejuvenation Side Table
And our favorite coffee tables.
1. West Elm Coffee Table | 2. Anthropologie Coffee Table | 3. Shop Horne Coffee Table | 4. West Elm Coffee Table | 5. Target Coffee Table | 6. Chairish Coffee Table | 7. Chairish Coffee Table | 8. Target Coffee Table | 9. All Modern Coffee Table | 10. Shop Horne Coffee Table | 11. Shop Horne Coffee Table | 12. Amber Interior Design Coffee Table | 13. Ikea Coffee Table | 14. Anthropologie Coffee Table | 15. Chairish Coffee Table
Did you catch all of that? Now that you have the basic ingredients of the “California Casual” furniture and we broke it down for you a bit do you think you could make some selections for yourself if you were looking to incorporate this style into your own home? We’ve got Art, Lighting, Textiles, and Accessories coming up so stay tuned for that but in the meantime let us know below if you have any questions on the style or how to make it work in your home.