Store Tour: Poketo
I shop a lot, so I figured it was time to start letting you in on some of my favorite stores in LA. Jessica is going to be profiling LA’s finest home and accessories stores for your shopping in LA pleasure.
Poketo, Downtown Los Angeles
Owners: Ted Vadakan and Angie Myung
1. How long have you been in business and how did you get started?
Poketo started in 2003 as an idea to make artwork accessible to everyone. It began with a line of limited-edition artist wallets that corresponded with an exhibition, and spiraled from there into a line of stationery, housewares, and apparel, eventually turning into what it is today – an ever-evolving lifestyle and design company with two retail locations in LA and an online store.
2. Why did you choose this location to open your business?
The Arts District has changed quite a bit since we originally moved in, but at first it felt like a new frontier, which allowed for experimentation. Now, the area is filled with like-minded businesses. We feel lucky to be here and be a part of the community.
3. Where did you get your name from and what other names did you consider?
“Poketo” came from Angie’s grandmother’s mispronunciation of the word “pocket”. Our very first product was the artist wallet, and we loved the way “poketo” sounded. It just fit.
4. How would you describe your store’s style/aesthetic?
Colorful, Minimal, and Playful
5. What types of items are your best sellers?
6. What item do you have in the store now that you would want to have in your home?
7. What have you been inspired by lately? (colors, styles, themes, locations, etc.)
Big Sur, Shih Tzus, sunny days, wood on concrete, northern lights, the unexpected, the desert, pops of color, rock climbing, Bauhaus
8. Is there something you thought would sell really well but didn’t?
Fortunately, we only sell things we love and have in our own lives! It would be no other way.
9. Where do you mainly source your items from?
All over the world! Poketo is in LA and we support the local community, but our curatorial is global.
10. What stores do you shop at?
We don’t have much time for shopping, but we love our neighbors – Apolis and Alchemy Works.
11. What was the first big lesson you learned from opening your store?
We’ve built this business one step at a time. We don’t always have the answers and we get through things by doing. Building a great, dedicated, hard working team that shares your passion and vision is key. Each person on our team has different strength and we learn so much from being around each other.
12. What would your one piece of advice you would give to small businesses?
Perseverance is key.
13. Do you have any plans to expand your inventory?
We are always expanding. It is never-ending!
820 E. 3rd St.
Downtown Los Angeles, CA 90013