The EHD team likes jumpsuits—on any given day, I can almost guarantee that someone shows up in a jumpsuit and is immediately greeted with a flurry of OMGYOULOOKSOCUTE—and not just because they create a great Halloween costume (see below). No. We are fans of the singular-piece-of-fabric fashion moment because for us, it just makes sense (and might be the future of women in the work-field…buh-bye dresses, meet the new one-piece). Why? I am glad you asked. Behold my case for the jumpsuit:
- They are wildly comfortable. Anyone who loved overalls at any point in their life knows they ride up in unfortunate ways when sitting. Jumpsuits, however, do not have this issue. They are roomy and something you can sit as easily as stand in. Imagine that.
- Add some accessories or cool shoes and you can go from work to night, whereas you can’t as effortlessly in an overall. It always says “cute daytime.”
- They have storage. As stylists, we need to have pockets and the ability to hold a lot near our bodies including phones, measuring tapes and extra credit for a hammer or screwdriver. They are overalls, but cooler. Everyday basics, but chicer.
- They are a whole outfit and a very easy one-click purchase that you will actually wear. Why try to put together a curated work outfit when you can look legitimately pulled together and even chic by wearing one piece of comfortable clothing?
I like a shirt and pant combo as much as the next person, but I’m leaning far more into the jumpsuit arena of life. It’s roomy, comfy, functional and it looks like you thought about what you put on your body. Case closed?
I’ve had this one from Madewell for a year and a half and still LOVE it. I couldn’t find any other socks so know that I don’t endorse those socks with that jumpsuit, but that one piece is so flattering and yet roomy in the waist (I don’t like a snug jumpsuit since the whole point for me is comfort + looking cool).
Now, don’t just take it from me. My team is just as passionate about these “outdoor pajamas” as I am and are going to tell you why. Take it away, guys:
Why I love it: I always thought jumpsuits were not in the cards for me. I’m 5’8” with a long torso, F cup boobs, and an ice skating butt (read: big). Anyway, I pulled this on a whim at Target when I was looking for something to wear to my best friend’s rehearsal dinner at an aerospace museum. I needed something that could serve double duty: look fancy enough for a wedding walkthrough, and not show my bits while I’m climbing in and out of jets. When I put this on in the dressing room, I. WAS. SO. HYPED. First, it fit—no awkward pulling around my boobs or in the crotch. Second, it felt like GOSH DANG PAJAMAS. Third, it was perfect to dress up OR down and this green color was awesome (especially with the holidays coming up! But it also comes in black!). There are some reviews from people with narrower/shorter/more petite frames who have struggled with filling it out, but if you’ve historically been like, “holy crap, why can’t I even fit ONE LEG into this jumpsuit?” then Y’ALL, this is the PERFECT pick for you. And it’s only $30, so like…worth a shot, right?!
Why I love it: There is something magical about an article of clothing that is simple, classic yet elevated enough that it says, “I tried but not too hard.” That is how I feel about this jumpsuit. It works with boots, mules, heels, sneakers…pretty much anything you want, so getting dressed is so damn easy. I have had it for a year and have not grown tired of it in the slightest, which is saying a lot. It runs true to size (I am wearing a medium) and yes it is annoying to have to pee when wearing it but that is the price one pays when you can get away with wearing a single garment to work. This particular one is from last year (though they still have a few left!) but I have my eye on this newer version that looks just as comfortable and chic.
Why I love it: This jumpsuit from Urban is super comfortable and flattering, and you can wear it plain or dress it up a little with a neck scarf, belt, and booties. It’s easy to move around in but also so great for if you’re sitting at a computer all day. I am usually a small, but ordered a medium, so the legs/butt are a little baggier than I would have liked, but the bust/arms are tighter, so the medium fits perfectly in that regard.
Why I love it: Story time: I came across this jumpsuit as I was waltzing through Forever 21 to meet up with a friend before a show. Out of the corner of my eye I spotted something bright, something red, something…special. “Could it be…a jumpsuit?” I thought to myself. Why yes, yes it could and it was. I instantly snatched it up and sprinted through the piles of neglected clothes that had accidentally fallen off their hangers and I headed straight for the dressing room. I had a total of 3 minutes to try it on and make a decision if I was going to buy it or not. You might’ve already guessed how this story ends: I bought it. I must say, this jumpsuit fits the whole checklist of jumpsuit requirements: it’s comfy, stylish, and super affordable (which is a must for me). The color is a bold statement, yes, but I have a theory that red looks great on just about everybody and honestly, this jumpsuit has gotten me more compliments in the times I’ve worn it than any other article of clothing I own. Plus, it’s a great one to layer a striped shirt or turtleneck under. Oh, and she’s on sale.
Now for the trifecta, a.k.a. the jumpsuit that Sara, Julie, and Velinda all have and LOVE (can you tell that we love matching??)
Why I love it: It’s the perfect versatile piece: you can dress it up for a dinner or wedding with heels and jewelry, or down for work with flats. And it’s a really unique color that you don’t see that often. Plus it’s very comfortable and you can’t beat it for the price.
Why I love it: I have deep feelings about this jumpsuit that are best described as follows:
My jumpsuit is comfortable as hell but chic enough for work. I’m super into the fall color.
Promise to write tomorrow,
Why I love it: I am all about wearing something to work that is comfortable (read: pajamas) but I still look professional enough for a meeting and this jumpsuit meets the criteria. My favorite color is actually purple (sshhh…don’t tell team EHD) especially to wear, and the “eggplant” color is definitely passable by their standards.
Since we are on the subject of jumpsuits and because we love a team pic, please enjoy team EHD’s Halloween costume:
We had so much fun matching all day and walking around like some sort of cult of real-life Rosie the Riveters. It was great.
It is worth noting that part of the reason we went with this costume is because SIX people on the team already owned this jumpsuit. It is that good and checks all our boxes: comfy, easy to wear, and cool. We all can collectively vouch for its versatility and we highly recommend. Be matching with us!
Here are some more picks that we have/want/are dying to try:
1. Sacred Hawk Denim Boilersuit | 2. Sleeveless V-Neck Corduroy Jumpsuit | 3. UO Elyn Corduroy Jumpsuit | 4. Cloth & Stone Laney Chambray Jumpsuit | 5. As You Wished Jumpsuit | 6. Pocket Corduroy Dungarees | 7. Everything And More Wide Leg Jumpsuit | 8. Super Sailor Jumpsuit | 9. Cotton Overall | 10. Contrast Stitch Retro Jumpsuit | 11. Texture & Thread Wide-Leg Wrap Jumpsuit | 12.Contrast Stitch T-Shirt Jumpsuit | 13. Belted Denim Jumpsuit | 14. Button Or Nothing Check Jumpsuit | 15. Gia Coveralls | 16. Alexa Boilersuit | 17. Striped Long Sleeve V-Neck Jumpsuit | 18. Izzy Organic Boilersuit | 19. The Modern Utility Jumpsuit | 20. Square Neck Denim Jumpsuit | 21. Luella Jumpsuit
Are you guys on the jumpsuit train? We’d love to hear your recommendations for jumpsuits or other outfits that also feel like pajamas. xx
**photography by Veronica Crawford