Not sure if you are aware but there is a massive maker movement happening – like taking over the world. People that make things, sell them then I buy them and stare at them and wonder if I’ll ever make anything. So to celebrate this movement we’ve started a new column called ‘handmade’ which highlights our favorite handmade pieces from around the interwebs. First edition is ‘paper’, and here you are.
1. paper folded book | 2. paper house mobile | 3. hand painted notebook | 4. geometric paper tassel panel | 5. patterned paint roller | 6. personalized paper dolls | 7. digital family portrait | 8. paper cut shadow box | 9. paper cloud mobile
1. Paper folded book : I’ve seen these before but this one is super intricate and so well done. What if it was Charlie’s favorite book with his initials carved into it? That would be awesome unless his favorite book was the Flowers in the Attic, in which case that would be creepy (did anyone watch the recent made for tv movie? I taped it and am saving it for a night when Brian and I can really hunker down and watch it together, except for the fact that Brian would leave me before he would succumb to such an evening).
2. Paper house mobile : It’s so simple, clean, modern and white. It would look awesome in a kid’s rooms, or a creative space. There is something so ‘Wizard of Oz’ about it. I want.
3. Hand painted notebook : My only issue with this hand-painted notebook is its over-promising nature, and you know how I hate to over-promise. I feel like every time that I saw it I would open it all excitedly, eager to read my ‘best ideas ever’ and then constantly be disappointed. But the notebook itself is super cute.
4. Geometric paper tassel panel : Great colors, cute little frame, overall an awesome little addition to a wall. I’m picturing it big and bold. It also reminded me of the art installation at The Fig House.
5. Patterned paint roller : Waddup, genius? While this isn’t actually paper, it’s ability to make a wallpaper pattern has me intrigued. It’s like a combo roller / stamp and if you have pretty smooth walls and don’t want to commit to wallpaper, give this bad boy a try. Renters need apply.
6. Personalized paper dolls : Its hipster crafts to a meta level and I’m totally into it. I’m picturing little Charlie super bummed out that instead of ‘toys’ I gave him paper dolls of me and his dad. ‘Go ahead, little one. Play with your toys’, I would encourage. He’ll just love them.
7. Digital family portrait : If paper dolls aren’t your thing how about a simple clean and modern family portrait?
8. Paper cut shadow box : Remember those dioramas you created in a shoebox as a kid? Thats what this shadow box is, only better. Layers of paper precisely cut out to make an interesting scene. So beautiful.
9. Paper cloud mobile : I’ve loved this mobile since forever and I wouldn’t mind even creating a large version made out of lucite for an art installation in my house somewhere. It’s just so simple and sweet and yet has a lot of impact.
If you are a maker and have a handmade craft that you want to share, leave a comment with your link and we’ll check er out. xx
Post curated by Rebecca Zajac | Design by Numbers, in collaboration with yours truly.