Take It Outside – Target Patio Makeover
The next Target video is up, folks and we are taking it outside. This one is more about ideas on how to make your outdoor space/furniture more fun and inviting. The basics are kinda easy, it’s that final layer that you want/need for entertaining and once it’s done everybody can enjoy it.
This is why I schedule photo shoots or parties – I need the deadline, the kick in the maternity pants to pull things together or they will simply stay mediocre forever. The earlier you do this in the season (like now) the longer you can enjoy it.
Click through to see the full makeover.
So we took fairly basic, comfortable Target furniture and dressed it up with accessories, textiles and lighting. There is a method to this, so let’s break it down:
1. Shop and style within a consistent color palette. The basic furniture here is totally neutral, and the string/webbed furniture (which I ordered for myself because it’s AWESOME) had some gray and slate tones in it. So we kept the color palette tight so that it didn’t look junky with all the different accessories and styles.
2. Lighting – both on the tables and above – as string lights or lanterns. I will say that stringing lights across is laborious but once it’s done you won’t regret it. I’m pulling the pregnancy card and asking for Brian to do it. But for this project we used that back wall as a feature because stringing across the property made less sense.
Look at me unsuccessfully trying to hide that bump with pillows.
3. Mix up the patterns and textures within the color palette. Solid colors on solid colors mixed with other solid colors can work totally fine, but if you are looking for a more eclectic vibe, grab a few different patterns within the color palette and start mixing. I know you know this, but just make sure to mix up the scales of the patterns – like on the sofa, with large (the starfish), medium and small. And no, I don’t know why mysteriously there is a different throw on the sofa. But I’m intrigued.
4. Layer with potted plants. Plants are the room divider of your patio. They help create intimacy and privacy as well as add to texture and life, obviously.
I LOVE all the cement planters and stools in the new Spring line – as well as that white and gold stool.
That set (the string furniture) is awesome. I eyed it for a while, then as I pulled the trigger it was sold out and I was BUMMED because it was just my favorite set – and I knew it would be yours and therefore It would end up being the gold task lamp 2.0. Luckily it just came back in stock. (Also luckily for you I saw the new fall look book and the gold task lamps are back and in a floor AND floor arch version as well).
I was pretty surprised/relieved at how well the furniture worked together. The main furniture and the string chairs are very different, but once we started layering on the navy and all the plants it totally pulled together.
Now you know the drill – if you like it, it’s going to sell out, so just buy it (and return it if it doesn’t work!) instead of waiting. Because even though it feels like it’s just April (because it is) it’s the time to at least start thinking about living outdoors for the summer.
1. Starfish Throw Pillow 2. Hammered Aluminum Bowl 3. Patio Rug 4. Wicker Patio Loveseat 5. Navy Wicker Accent Table 6. Navy Stone Accent Table 7. Ikat Lumbar Pillow 8. Diamond Throw Pillow 9. Faux Concrete Table 10. Wicker Ottoman 11. Patio Chair 12. Ceramic Accent Table 13. Milkglass Lantern 14. Filament String Lights 15. Globe String Lights 16.Wood and Iron Lantern 17. Patio Pouf 18. Wicker Patio Chaise 19. Mini Concrete Planter testtest