Trolling Craigslist… Detroit!
Detroit is one of those places that is popping up more, and more around here. First off there are like 1 million people from Michigan that live in LA – presumably because during a certain time/generation people fled the less than awesome economy there. But now, of course, it has a burgeoning art scene and yet you can still buy a house for so little. It makes it tempting to think about, but for now I’ll just troll…And MAN THERE IS SOME GOOD STUFF HERE.
1. $20 Mid Century Dresser The color of this dresser is intriguing to me (mid-century rarely comes this light), the shape is good and that price? Ridiculous.
2. $20 Vintage Chair YES. Oh man. This would cost around $350 to reupholster and you’d need 4 yards of fabric, but I’d suggest closing your laptop and making that happen right now.
3. $90 Mid Century Side Table Interesting shape/style and storage to boot.
4. $40 Set of Four Stackable Vintage Chairs How adorable are these little suckers? They belong in a California pre-school (you can tell where my mind is today) or are the perfect chairs from some up-and-coming design bloggers. Perfect colors.
5. $75 Pair of Vintage Sofas Sofas like this always remind me of my Captain America sofa – aka one of the worst design mistakes to date. But remember, you don’t have to stick with the shape of the pillow if you don’t want to, and you can get rid of the skirt and just see some simple legs. It’s probably a high quality sofa and the arms make them both really unique. $75 for the pair is insane – just remember that I think these would be $800 – $1200 to reupholster. But I don’t know the upholstery market in Detroit – it could be WAY less there.
6. $250 Set of Four Vintage Dining Chairs Interesting, unique, not a bad price. If you can handle that intense style you should absolutely get these.
7. $35 Mid Century Chair For my Portland house. Or good upholstery inspiration. Sometimes I feel like this kind of quirky upholstery choice works best on vintage, a long time ago and if you tried to do something like this now it could look really try-hard and forced. But I like the two different fabrics.
8. $30 Pair of Tufted Twin Headboards Call your fertility doctor, tell him you want to have twins – because these headboards are so cute.
9. $45 Pair of Vintage Wicker Chairs Yup. Simple bucket wicker chairs that should don a porch or sunroom fast.
10. Best Offer Vintage Art Deco Love Seat I’m terrified, but intrigued. It could absolutely be recovered to make it work but I fear mainly in a fashion magazine with a weird model on top of it. These kinds of houses are pretty hard to pull off in our more normal houses.
11. $30 Set of 5 Rolling Chairs Office, kitchen or game room, these guys could use a recovering (cream, navy, or black linen?) but comfy rolling office chairs are hard to find for this cheap.
12. $200 Pair of Milo Baughman Style Chairs Cool and weird, but definitely a project for a good upholsterer unless you can work with this color. I’ve tried to have sling chairs repaired before and it ain’t cheap and often they don’t know how to do it, so keep that in mind.
13. $100 Kilim Rug PRETTY.
14. $75 Vintage Oriental Rug This could be really red and generic in person but in the photos it looks really saturated and pretty great for $75.
15. $80 Mid Century Desk Cute. Nothing too compelling just a good piece at a good price.
17. $75 Art Deco Dresser Cute! He looks like a little angry man, but one that would add a lot of quirk to a room.
Where to next?