Alright, remember that glass lamp from my guest room makeover post we? Well, today is the breakdown of how/why we did it. Off we go.
First off, I found these simple glass lamps at Target and chose the tall one for scale:
I really liked the simple shape, midcentury wood top and pretty warm lampshade, but the glass was getting lost in the room so I figured I’d try to give it more of a presence by painting the inside of it a color. These lamps are ‘fillable’ meaning that they top screws off so you can fill them with stuff. I didn’t really know what I would put in them (I mean, I really wanted to make it a terrarium with a bonsai tree, but it would have died immediately due to lack of air, obviously). But I did have experience painting the inside of glass jars before when I did this art installation with mason jars (full post HERE) so I figured why not do that?:
This time, though, i’d make it a bit more interesting than just a solid color since it was just one lamp.
Whats so great about this DIY is a. how easy it is, and b. how customizable it is. You can choose ANY COLOR IN THE WORLD, which makes getting it perfect and exactly how you like it really easy.
Heres What you Need:
1. Paint Tray – you will need one for each color- you could use paper plates or bowls, too.
2. Paint Brush
3. Glass Lamp – ours is from Target and has a wide mouth which made it easy to get our hand inside of it and paint it.
4. Paint – You can use any latex house paint. We wanted to do a pink and blue option so this one is Dutch Boy’s ‘Pink Passion’. Also if you don’t like getting paint on your hands then wear gloves.
Then I asked Brady to play with some patterns/strokes. We used a glass casserole dish that we had to sample, that way you could see how the outside of it would look.
So he played around …
1. More of a weave. I like this one but once you are trying to do it inside a jar with a small mouth you have less mobility and control so it was more of a risk (although secretly I might REALLY like this one).
2. I then tried it with a larger weave pattern and more blended strokes – Closer to what we were going for but not perfect.
3. My last attempt was with just straight strokes and blending the colors together – This was our favorite and the one that we thought looked best for the application. This sample was too ‘stripe-y’ and we wanted it to be a little more organic and random, but the general idea worked and was easy to implement.